About Us

We are Ferdy (aged 9), Harriet (Mum - age too old to reveal) and Gil (aged 6).

Ferdy started school in September 2017 and Gil in September 2020, and Ferdy and Gil are home educated on Fridays (flexischooling is a combination of formal schooling and home educating). This does not mean an extra weekend day (Ferdy!), but that we will be doing days out, some reading, some writing, some maths and generally things relating to what both boys are learning at school.

We will be keeping a record of our progress (and our mistakes) on this blog. Any comments/ideas gratefully received!

Sunday 31 March 2019

We are living in a material world

We attended Ferdy's Mother's Day service at school today, which was rather nice. Especially seeing as when it was his turn he said 'I love my Mummy because she gives me kisses', rather than 'I love my Mummy because she wipes my bottom', which he'd told me he was going to say. I had been on tenterhooks...

Me, according to Ferdy. Apparently he'd like me to 
have yellow hair. I have got long, (going grey) brown hair

The weather was beautiful so we went out straight afterwards.

Ferdy's been learning about materials and their properties this week so we decided to go on a materials hunt.

tl clockwise: fabric; paper; stones; glass; sand; bricks

























We discussed that materials are man made and natural, and also how things can be man made using natural materials, and even found willow domes which are man made structures using living materials.

These willow structures also worked well as Luke's homestead on Tatooine
Sadly, plastic featured heavily throughout our materials search, but we had brought our litter picker (given to me by a friend for my birthday..), which also doubled up as a large shooter when Han Solo appeared.










The bears danced off through the woods
I was treated to my Friday outdoor show - today it was Goldilocks and the Three Bears - and over lunch we were read some stories, with actual reading...


And later on both boys really got involved with materials by immersing themselves in a pile of stones.

Back at home Ferdy printed up some of our pictures of materials and wrote about some of their properties (is sand, sandy?). 

When asked what we had learnt about today, Ferdy replied, 'adjectives and litter'. Hmm, ok, well, kind of.

(material)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.