About Us

We are Ferdy (aged 9), Harriet (Mum - age too old to reveal) and Gil (aged 6).

Ferdy started school in September 2017 and Gil in September 2020, and Ferdy and Gil are home educated on Fridays (flexischooling is a combination of formal schooling and home educating). This does not mean an extra weekend day (Ferdy!), but that we will be doing days out, some reading, some writing, some maths and generally things relating to what both boys are learning at school.

We will be keeping a record of our progress (and our mistakes) on this blog. Any comments/ideas gratefully received!

Sunday 8 December 2019

Bah! Humbug!

I have mixed feelings about Christmas. I feel a bit Scrooge-like about the amount of money people spend, and, particularly this year, the quantity of waste generated (dare I ask my family to wrap presents with recyclable tape rather than rendering the wrapping paper non recyclable with sellotape...? Am I brave enough to suggest looking for things second hand rather than going straight for brand new? Is it too grumpy of me to tell my children that polar bears may soon no longer exist if we carry on treating our world like this). However, I also love things like mulled wine (hic), mince pies, Lebkuchen, Christmas trees, and generally getting together with friends and family and having lots of fun/arguments..

This Friday, we went to see A Christmas Carol at the theatre.


Before we left, we learnt a little about one of the greatest storytellers ever, Charles Dickens. Ferdy has yet to discover his stories and I'm really excited for him as Dickens is truly a fave of mine. Because we've been learning something of the Kings and Queens of England (me included) this term, and because we put our tree up this week, we also learnt about the Queen who brought us the custom of decorating trees, Queen Victoria.

I told them a bit of the story of Ebenezer Scrooge on the way, which was lucky as I forgot my wallet and we had to drive all the way home to get it and subsequently missed the beginning of the play. We arrived just as Scrooge was declaring how 'every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips should be boiled with his own puddling'. A little how I felt at that moment...

The play, however was as rich and sumptuous as a Christmas pudding itself. It was dark and bleak and at times a little scary, and it was chirpy, heart-warming and fun. We laughed out loud, and we/I wept. The music, mainly Christmas carols played by the cast on a plethora of instruments, had us clapping and singing along. Both boys loved it even though the plot was a little complex for Gil who kept saying about everyone 'is 'im a ghost?'. Ferdy's new favourite character is Ebenezer Scrooge and he later wrote all about Charles Dickens.

As for me, well I came out feeling full to the brim with Christmas spirit, crooning carols and utterly in love with Christmas, Who cares about sellotape...?

God bless Us. Every one!

©Derby Theatre



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.